Closing Plenary Of The 2009 Skoll World Forum
Closing Remarks: Colin Mayer at 2009 Skoll World Forum
Fri, March 27, 2009; 14:30 - 16:00
After an inspiring three days, the forum came to a close with inspiring talks.
Pamela Hartigan, Director of the Skoll Centre for Social Entrepreneurship, said that “we live in two realities.”
Lord Puttnam of Queensgate, C.B.E., talked about “Citizens, Institutions and Shifting Power” and showed an emotional 7-minute video on the state of the education in the world and how we need to improve.
Soraya Salti, senior vice president MENA of INJAZ Al-Arab, gave “A Social Entrepreneur’s Perspective on Power.” She said we have drifted far from the days when education and learning was critical. “The education systems across the Arab world have failed its youth,” she said.
Jeff Skoll said goodbye with his talk, called “Collective Power: A Call for Urgency,” about urgency and hope. “Urgency is on an upward path. We’ve made some progress on the big challenges in the world, but each passing day raises the stakes,” Skoll said.
Ending the Forum was Colin Mayer, Peter Moores Dean and Peter Moores Professor of Management Studies at Said Business School. “History is on our side,” he said. “The great periods of institutional innovation have indeed emerged out of crisis.”
Written by Soraya Salti:
Senior Vice President of Middle East/North Africa for Junior Achievement Worldwide
Peter Moores Dean, Peter Moores Professor of Management Studies
Saïd Business School
Written by Jeff Skoll:
Featuring Jeff Skoll:
- Jeff Skoll and Mabel van Oranje - Belief in a Collective Future
- Skoll Awards for Social Entrepreneurship: Awards Ceremony
- Opening Plenary
- WELCOME REMARKS | Jeff Skoll | Skoll World Forum on Social Entrepreneurship 2014
- Opening Plenary of 2014 Skoll World Forum
- Jeff Skoll on XPrize Insights: Good People Doing Good Things
- Awards Ceremony 2013 Skoll World Forum On Social Entrepreneurship
- Jeff Skoll - Welcome Remarks & Top 10 List - Skoll World Forum 2013
- Opening Plenary 2012
- Jeff Skoll at the Opening Plenary to the Skoll World Forum 2012
- See all >
Founder & Chairman
Jeff Skoll Group
Written by Pamela Hartigan:
- They Think They Know the Future
- They Are Propelled by Emotion
- They Are Insanely Ambitious
- They Want to Change the System
- Orlando Rincón Bonilla
- From Social Activist to Disruptive Innovator
- What Makes Them Unreasonable?
- Ten Characteristics of Successful Social Entrepreneurs
- Who Are These Social Entrepreneurs?
- Roots of Unreason, Sources of Power
Featuring Pamela Hartigan:
- The Age Before Impossible: Young Voices, Big Dreams
- Global Development: What should we focus on and how will we measure success?
- Is the Traditional Role of a Teacher Outdated?
- The Founders' Challenge: To Scale And Keep The Vision Alive | SWF2014
- Skoll World Forum on Social Entrepreneurship 2013 Day Two Morning Plenary
- Pamela Hartigan - 2013 Skoll World Forum - Day 2 Welcoming Remarks
- Morning Plenary 2012
- Pamela Hartigan at the Morning Plenary of the Skoll World Forum
- Pamela Hartigan speaks at the closing plenary of the Skoll World Forum 2011
- Pamela Hartigan on an ecosystem approach to issues
- See all >
Skoll Centre for Social Entrepreneurship